In December 2018 the CVRD Board started brainstorming possible projects for 2019. We will decide on new projects over the first couple of months of 2019. Feel free to send me feedback on any of the ones below, or other ideas you may have!
- Transit Enhancement and Investment – Regional: Continue to grow the service and ridership. Area A Possibilities: Maybe look to expand service to Deep Bay for connection to Nanaimo District Transit? Consider having #10 loop into Ships Point? Continue Hornby/Denman Pilots?
- Comox Valley Sustainability Strategy Score Card – Regional: the strategy was put together in 2010 – we may take the pulse on our progress towards our 2050 goals. Area A Possibilities: Identify green investment priorities in Area A for future years?
- Sewage for Area A Regional / Area A Possibilities: The board may continue to look at options in light of the failed 2016 South Sewer referendum. I hope we can find solutions!
- Air Quality Regional: work on strategies to improve air quality in the valley Area A Possibilities: Have more programs and policies that can make a difference in the rural context?
- Regional Transportation: Regional: Possibly consider how to improve connectivity and infrastructure within and between communities (includes pedestrian, cycling, transit, gas cars, electric cars, transit, future of island corridor train track, etc…) Area A Possibilities: Maybe look at ways to better connect Area A to the rest of the Comox Valley…trail on island corridor, etc?
- Organics diversion Regional: work with the Waste Management board to divert food and organics from the landfill? Area A Possibilities: Perhaps not for 2019, but maybe investigate potential to add recycling pickup or transfer station in Fanny Bay/Union Bay area – a few were asking about this on the campaign trail.
- Comox Valley Economic Development review: Regional: Five-year review of outcomes, and negotiation of new contract. Area A Possibilities: Maybe local economic action plans for Baynes Sound communities?
- Agriculture support review, plan, strategy. Regional: Renew efforts to grow food production in the valley. Area A Possibilities: Include opportunities to look at aquaculture and support to farming on the islands?
- Housing Needs Assessment Regional: consider regional approach to housing solutions?
Area A Possibilities : Support efforts on the islands, and look for opportunities to grow affordable housing in Fanny Bay, Royston, and Union Bay?